a Ministry of Welcome
Our Vision: All migrants seeking refuge and asylum in the US, but lacking family sponsors, receive respectful and migrant-centered support from communities of faith.
Our Mission: To provide a ministry of welcome, accompaniment and support to a family/families seeking refuge in the US through the legal process of asylum and referred to us through AMMPARO ELCA and its partners.
+ live into biblical mandates to love our neighbors as expressed in the Hebrew and Christian scriptures (i.e. Leviticus 19:33 “When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God”, and Mt.25:35 “I was a stranger and you welcomed me.”)
+ minimize the time a family spends in detention or on the streets without support structures
+ help a family survive, heal, thrive, until their day in Immigration Court
AMMPARO stands for Accompanying Migrant Minors with Protection Advocacy Representation and Opportunity. It is a national project of the ELCA supporting immigrants and refugees. St. Peter’s congregation became part of this effort in 2020.  ELCA is the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America AMMPARO stands for Accompanying Migrant Minors with Protection Advocacy Representation and Opportunity. It is a national project of the ELCA supporting immigrants and refugees. St. Peter’s congregation became part of this effort in 2020.  ELCA is the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America
Migration and Asylum Sponsorship Resources
(Compiled by Safe Harbors, A Ministry of Welcome, St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, Harwich, MA)
Documents and Fact or Flow Sheets:
• Supporting Asylum Seeker: A Toolkit for Congregations, 2019 pdf Manual, of 100+ pages, with multiple editable sample forms, from Episcopal Migration Ministries, also available with updates online.
Slide Presentations (*from outside webinars & forums team members have attended:
• AMMPARO Asylum Seeker Sponsorship Project, presented by Doreen Rinas, ELCA, 2/22/21, and modified by C Samples for St. Peter’s 3/8/21.
• Let’s Talk About Sponsoring Asylum-Seeking Families and Individuals! Presented by SW Texas Synod, ELCA and Episcopal Diocese of West Texas, 4/14/21.
• Walking with Asylum Seekers: A Training Series for Congregations, Part I – 4/15/21 Webinar slides by AMMPARO, Episcopal Migration Ministries and Lutheran Family Services of Rocky Mountains.
• Walking with Asylum Seekers: A Training Series for Congregations, Part 2 – 4/22/21 Webinar slides by AMMPARO, Episcopal Migration Ministries and Lutheran Family Services of Rocky Mountains.
• I Was a Stranger and You Welcomed Me. 5/24/21 Slides from a webinar presentation by immigration attorneys from Catholic Social Services, Diocese of Fall River.
Useful online resources – webinar recordings and web sites:
• Facts about immigrants and refugees
MIRA Coalition, Massachusetts Fact sheets and Resources for immigrants and refugees
• Manual for project leaders and volunteer coordinators of congregations beginning the asylum seeker sponsorship journey.
Downloadable with sample forms and checklist
• A workshop on the U.S. Immigration System | ELCA
A 2019 1 hour video training by Catholic Diocesan Services of El Paso on the processes of becoming a legal resident of the US, including the asylum process.
• Welcoming Migrants: Take Action Toolkit Spring 2021
Google Docs. General information and Advocacy opportunities from the Interfaith Immigration Coalition
• A Faithful Response to the Border: Welcoming Migrant Children and Asylum Seekers (facebook.com)
Webinar recording: video of a Facebook webinar hosted by Interfaith Immigration Coalition March 2021.
• ASYLUM-SEEKERS SPONSORSHIP PROJECT
For more on Asylum. ASSP is a progressive organization providing training and support to individuals and organizations interested in asylum seeker support.
• Making Your Way: A R&P Orientation Curriculum – CORE (coresourceexchange.org)
Designed for refugee resettlement programs, this curriculum has modular curricula that can be helpful for volunteers providing direct support once the family has arrived.
Upcoming Webinars or Facebook Live Presentations:
Check back here for dates.